Stream Table Rental Program
The Friends of the Winooski River is pleased to be able to offer our Emriver Em2 river process simulator (also known as a "stream table") for use in your classroom or program.
The stream table can serve as an effective tool for demonstrating river geomorphology to all audiences. This interactive tool is a perfect way to engage people in river science, engineering, and earth sciences. The Stream Table simulates river processes with remarkable accuracy by demonstrating the basic principles of river dynamics, including erosion and deposition of sediments, channel meanders, and the challenges of human interventions such as culverts, bridges, and homes.
The stream table is available to rent by individuals that have attended a training program. Groups who have not attended a Friends of the Winooski River training will need to have FWR staff assist running the table, which must be considered on a case by case basis, subject to the availability of staff. Fees for staff time will vary based on the assistance needed, location, and duration of the event.
FWR does not have ongoing funding to support the stream table lending program. Therefore, in order for us to continue the program, all stream table users are expected to do the following. Please review prior to contacting us about usage.
- For periods from 1 day to 1 week, there is a simple rental fee of $50. Payment must be received in advance of the start of your program. Payment can be submitted upon confirmation of your Rental Agreement Form or at the time of pick up.
- Arrange to pick up and drop off equipment at our storage unit near Shaws in Berlin.
- The user must be responsible for loading, transporting, and unloading the stream table and all components by themselves. This generally takes a very large vehicle and two people.
- Users are financially responsible for any lost or damaged parts.
- All persons transporting and/or operating the stream table must read the FWR Stream Table Rental Program Manual and Emriver Use and Care Manual prior to picking up the table. You must follow all of the instructions in these manuals.
- Please review the FWR Stream Table Parts and Accessories Checklist to make sure your vehicle is adequate for transporting the stream table.
- At the end of a program, you must allot at least one (1) hour for the sediment to drain as much as possible. All accessories must be thoroughly rinsed and dried before packing them. Breakdown including draining time for the sediment is at least 1.5 hours. Please plan accordingly.
- You will be expected to sign a rental form agreeing to the above.
If you would like to rent the stream table, please follow the steps below.
- Email us at info[@]winooskiriver.org with the following:
- Contact and organization name
- Email and phone number
- Date(s) of your event or program
- Nature of your event or program—purposes, expected number of participants, etc.
- Your preferred pick up and drop off dates and times
- The Friends will confirm the dates and your information, and send you a Rental Agreement Form.
- The renting party must sign this form and send it back to us along with a check. Payment can be made via check or in person at the time of pick up.
Rental Program Documents:
FWR Stream Table Rental Agreeement
FWR Stream Table Rental Program Manual*
Emriver Em2 Use and Care Manual*
FWR Stream Table Parts and Accessories Checklist*
We also offer a curriculum specifically for the Stream Table: FWR Stream Table Unit*
*Hard copies of these documents come with the stream table kit
Funding for the stream table was provided by the Lake Champlain Basin Program (LCBP.) Friends of the Mad River in Waitsfield is a project partner, as is the Winooski Natural Resources Conservation District.